bleeckerj

Serial Tools Grinds System To A Halt

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:55 pm

I developed a small, very simple serial tools program (.NET 2) that doesn't do much more than read data from a simple serial device. The device outputs about 17 or 18 bytes of ASCII at about 8 Hz.

I developed on my desktop machine and everything went as expected, no problems. I'm using Visual Studio 2005, Windows XP Professional SP2. (I've also used the SerialTools component in several other projects with no problems.)

The target machine is running Windows XP SP2 as well. It's a Sony UX180, the new UPMC platform — I've never targeted this device in the past, but it seems to be fairly stock Windows XP Professional SP2, with a bunch of Adware, annoyingly, that I'm gradually de-installing.

(http://www.mobiletechreview.com/sony_ux ... UX180P.htm)

1.2GHz Core Solo, 512MB RAM, etc.

When I run the program on the UX180, it completely balks the system. The usual symptoms — CPU pegged, mouse drags horribly, etc. I run the code either connecting to the device over Bluetooth (the configuration I'm ultimately trying to achieve), or directly using a USB/Serial Adapter (Kensington). In both cases, I see these symptoms.

I've also run the Serial Tools Sample1 and NoEvents sample programs by themselves, and see the same symptoms.

Both programs run fine on my desktop machine.

Now, being curious, I refactored my code to use the new SerialPort class available in .NET 2. I threaded the data read in a simple fashion and the application sees none of the previous symptoms.

I thought maybe my Serial Tools version was out of date, but I'm up to date. I thought perhaps it had something to do with the Visual Studio dev kit or something, or such, but I'm at a loss.

I can get away with using the new .NET 2 serial component, but I'd like to know if there's a problem I'm not aware of, or a coding idiom I should be using to mitigate this sort of thing.

Of course I suspect something particular to the UX180 device, but (fortunately) the alternative code using the .NET 2 serial component saves me.

Has anyone seen any sort of behavior like this?

Julian Bleecker

zee

RE: Serial Tools Grinds System To A Halt

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:17 pm

ive seen it happen on my ppc applications.... ive noticed that if you do not dispose the serialnet object after you use it, it either halts your application or runs dead slow. ..

Return to “SerialTools”