johan
GpsGate

GUIDE: User management in 3.1

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:26 am

Quick guide to user management in 3.1

One of the news in GpsGate Server v3.1 is the integration of manage users, tags, views, event rules and device mappers into Map View. Everything is done in Map View. This will speed up any managing task greatly and give you a better overview.

How to add a user

To add a new user there is a button in the upper right corner of the vehicle list which says "Add new User". The logged in user must have the privilege _EditUser to see this menu option.

How to edit a user

Right click on a user in the vehicle list and select "Edit User". The logged in user must have the privilege _EditUser to see this menu option.

How to delete a user

Right click on a user in the vehicle list and select "Delete User". The logged in user must have the privilege _EditUser to see this menu option.

How to find a user

You can search for a user in the vehicle list search box. You can use any of the fields e.g. phone number, IMEI or username to find the user. It can also be a good idea to create Views for different types of users.

What is "User Types"

User Types is a new feature in GpsGate Server 3.1. It is a "template" from which you can create new users. In this way adding and editing users will be much faster, and you will only be asked to input information actually needed to setup the user.

How to create a User Type

Select "User Type Editor" from the vehicle list settings menu. The logged in user must have the privilege _EditUserTemplates to see this menu option.

Create a new user type by selecting "Empty (Advanced)" in the drop down. Or select an existing user type to edit it. Use the check box to the right to determine which fields should be displayed and which fields should be mandatory. You can also set default values for all fields.

Add standard "User Types" to your old applications

There is some standard user types that comes with GpsGate Server v3.1. Follow those steps to activate:

The standard user types are Administrator, Operator, Driver, Device and Laptop.

0. Make sure you have all plugins up to date under SiteAdmin -> Plugins.

1. Login to SiteAdmin
2. Click on application.
3. Select "User Types" in Synchronize drop down.
4. Click "Synchronize"

The user types are now installed. No other changes are made.

New applications created using "Basic One" as template will contain
the standard user types.

Related topics

Cannot find my users after update to 3.1
http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15196

Add new country / SIM card provider to User Type
http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15237

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

utk

RE: GUIDE: User management in 3.1

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:26 am

This is not the way mine is working. When I right click on the user I get a virtually blank popup window with the exception of

GPS distance adjustment
%-+
This setting will only take effect on unprocessed track data.

I have upgraded to core 3.1.0.3727 and Basic one 3.1.0.3710

Did I screw something UP?

utk

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 am

I figured it out Internet Explorer is challenged. Used Firefox which allowed window to open properly. Still Having issue with GPS Adjstment unable to save and add device. Anyone else had this issue

johan
GpsGate

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 am

I can confirm there is a problem in IE, will fix that for the next update.

Please describe in more detail which kind of problem you have to "save and add device". That works fine for me.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

utk

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 pm

I am trying to add a device by using both "add new user" button and "user Type editor" I am unable to complete the form and save. I have the rights activated but just can't get past the screen to add the device. I am using firefox so the form now opens.

The problem is that I enter all the information for the device IMEI, Phone Number Device and Mapper as well the apn and blank username & passwords. Once I complete this I am unable to save or move forward.

johan
GpsGate

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Can you please send a login to your server to support @ gpsgate.com and we will take a look at your problem.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Bolt

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:42 am

Johan

I synchronized and lost my existing user. Luckily it is with my testing application but why did this happen??

hpi

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:00 pm

@ Johan, same thing happened to me...synchronized and lost all vehicles. What now?

My vehicle list is empty, but all the licenses are still consumed. Is there a way to restore my vehicle list?

johan
GpsGate

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Check which view is selected. maybe there are no vehicles in the selected view.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

hpi

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Yes, something about the view changed. When I search in the vehicle list it says the vehicle is not in current view. Now I'm trying to figure out how to put in the current view.

Update:

I created a new view within the application, and in the site admin I disabled all views, only enabled the newly created view. Now it's sorted again.

Thanks.

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”