johan
GpsGate

RE: Get GPS position from a browser using javascript

Thu May 29, 2008 12:28 pm

GpsGate Toolbar is no longer supported. It is the replaced by the "GpsGate in Browser" feature.

There are two ways to connect a map on a web page to GpsGate.
1. Modify the web page to use GpsGate Ajax API to access the GPS position. How this is done is described at the top of this post.

2. To "hook" into an existing web page you try the sample "Show your local GPS position on all the main map sites" at the bottom of this page:
http://gpsgate.com/index.php?id=66

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

maddo

Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:08 pm

Has anyone tried this on a mobile with GPS. Can you create a mobile version (e.g. for Symbian)?

Thanks.

ebijl

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:20 pm

I have been trying to use the "GPS in Browser" feature and it works fine with
the simple demonstration
gps position to a form
gps to google maps
but it doesn't work on a single one of the major mapping sites

I am also not able any more to install the GpsGate toolbar in IE. I did that before on one of my computers and at least on that one I am able to get a GPS position in the various mapping sites.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong as far as "GPS in Browser" is concerned and also why the Franson Gps Gate doesn't show up any more in the toolbar selection?

Regards Edward

johan
GpsGate

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:26 pm

The toolbar is not longer supported.

A web page must include support for "GPS in browser" for it to work. If you would like to see this feature on a specific site, you can contact the site owner and ask him to include support for "GPS in Browser".

There is also a "hook" into an existing web page you try the sample "Show your local GPS position on all the main map sites" at the bottom of this page:
http://gpsgate.com/index.php?id=66

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Fredrik

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Edward:
Regarding the main map sites, have you tried this example? http://gpsgate.com/index.php?id=120
(it won't show a marker icon but should be able to center on your current position on quite a few map-services)

The GpsGate toolbar is a discontinued product. We might develop a more fully featured solution in a way similar to the example above, but no date set. Currently the Gps-in-browser is more focused on providing You with the tool to integrate your local position in your web-applications.

Regards,
Fredrik

Franson Support

ebijl

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Johan, Fredrik,

When I installed the toolbar it already wasn't supported any more. For some reason or another I managed at the time to install it and make it work. Have no clue why it doesn't install this time, but I will have to accept the fact that I don't manage to get it to work on the other computers. But on the computer it is installed on, I have a GPS position on all major mapping sites indicated. A real pity that you don't support that plug in any more!

However that doesn't change the fact that the "GPS in Browser" feature refuses to work on all map sites indicated by you apart from your site http://gpsgate.com/demo/gpsinbrows2.html where it does work.

If you want to see what I might be doing wrong, you can remotely access the computer that I am trying this on, using UltraVNC. Just send me an email "off forum" for the access password and the IP address.

Regards, Edward

mbond

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi,

It mentions above in the article that gps in browser is tested in IE on WM6, however I can't get it to work. I'm on a (new WM6 version) HTC Advantage and it works in the Opera browser, but won't in the IE browser. IE Browser doesn't even ask if i want to permit it (whereas opera asks if i want to permit access to the other site (localhost). Your demo doesn't work in IE either. Do you know of anything obvious to check for(security settings etc.) or can you confirm that it won't work in IE?

johan
GpsGate

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:20 pm

The browser must support Ajax to make "GPS in Browser" work. As far as I know IE on WM does not support Ajax. You need to use Opera on WM.

(The main article does not say that IE on WM6 is supported.)

And why Microsoft doesn't make a functional browser on WM is beyond my understanding.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

mbond

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks for the quick response, I fully agree, microsoft really should get their act together and sort out their browser.

In the requirements of the first post, it states 'It is tested on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Opera Mobile on Windows Mobile / Pocket PC.'

Does the activeX control from gpstools still work with this version? If so I may be able to do some user agent sniffing and sort it out that way.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Yes, "Opera Mobile on Windows Mobile / Pocket PC", which you also has confirmed works.

The ActiveX will most likely work, but it was quite some times since we tested it.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

mbond

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Ahh, I thought you meant all of those browsers on Windows Mobile. Ok cheers, will get on with testing then :O)

johan
GpsGate

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Note that the GpsTools ActiveX DLL is installed together with GpsGate, so you will not need to install anything more than GpsGate.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

mbond

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:12 pm

The activeX seems to work ok.

One thing i noticed is that the ActiveX allows returning of data in northing and easting - is this something that GPS in browser will support? I will need to convert lats and longs somehow otherwise as our apps mark eastings and northings.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:15 pm

Currently "GPS in Browser" only supports returning data in lon/lat WGS84.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

mbond

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Are any plans to provide northing and easting data on the object returned in GPS In Browser. We've been using gpsGate for a while and our apps are heavily reliant on using the northing and eastings from the previous activeX version as we submit those values to the server.Having these available would save a large amount of server side code from having to be rewritten.

If this is something that is in the pipeline it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “GpsGate for Developers”