kabinu

Installation Issue

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:38 pm

I am trying to install the .net cf sdk but every time I click on the
setup.exe I get the following message "16-bit windows subsystem -
C:\WINNT\SYSTEMS32\AUTOEXEC.NET. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application." I am running Windows 2000 SP4, I have
Visual Studio 2003 and already have ActiveSync installed what is the problem?

johan
GpsGate

RE: Installation Issue

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:12 pm

The installation for GpsTools SDK and CoordTrans is using an older version of InstallShield which needs to run as a 16-bit application. You get the error because you are missing some resources on you computer. Note that this is a limitation in the installation program only and not in GpsTools (or CoordTrans) itself.

You can read more about it here in the Microsoft homepage:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;103104

And a direct qoute from microsoft.com

Start Quote -->

SYMPTOMS
When the 16-bit Windows or Windows on Windows (WOW) subsystem starts, the following error message is displayed:

NOTE: The WOW subsystem may be started automatically when you start Windows NT or the first time you run a 16-bit Windows-based application.

The Win16 Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH.

CAUSE
One or more of the following conditions exists in Microsoft Windows NT or Windows NT Advanced Server:

• HIMEM.SYS or DOSX.EXE is missing or corrupt in the SYSTEM32 directory.
• HIMEM.SYS is not being loaded in the CONFIG.NT file.
• DOSX.EXE is not being loaded in the AUTOEXEC.NT file.

RESOLUTION
Make sure that the line, "device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys," exists in the CONFIG.NT file.

Make sure that the line, "lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx.exe," exists in the AUTOEXEC.NT file.

Expand HIMEM.SYS, DOSX.EXE, or both from the Windows NT setup disks or CD- ROM disc if either or both are missing from the SYSTEM32 directory.

For more information on DOSX.EXE, query on the following keywords in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

<-- End Quote

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

kabinu

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:34 pm

Thanks for your help. It turns out I did not have an AUTOEXEC.NT file in my system directory. After copying one there temporarily I was able to install the GPSTools SDK. The only other thing I am missing was an email from you with the evaluation key.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:38 pm

You can request a trial license key here:
http://franson.biz/gpstools/download.asp

An email will be sent to you right away. Make sure you have no spam filter blocking emails from @franson.biz

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

cchapman

Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:22 am

Hi there;

Having trouble installing the 2.11b SDK trial as well, however I have a new wrinkle: When I double-click the setup icon, I get this:

http://www.chapmanconsulting.ca/images/franson_sdk_fried.jpg

My hardware is a Dell Inspiron 1150, 2Ghz laptop running WindowsXP SP2, .NET 1.1 SP1, VSNet2003. I've checked out the above notes on the installer running under WoW, and have confirmed configurations are in-line with the expectations in the tech article.

Any ideas?

CR Chapman

johan
GpsGate

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:38 am

This is most likely because the path is to long to setup.exe Copy the installation files to a shorter path instead e.g. c:\download

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

AZ_Specter

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 pm

There must be a problem with you PC ,i guess besuace it worked for many other users.Anyway what version of Xp do you have ? Media center,Home or Professional ?Even that matter

Return to “GpsTools”