yabbi

looking for tracker with long battery life

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for a tracker with long battery life. It only needs to report when alarm/movement sensor is triggered or a manual position request is sent. I understand GPS reception drains batteries so regular postion update is not neccesary, until an alarm is raised.
With long battery life I mean like a year or even longer.

Thanks in advance,

Henk

nicolaj

RE: looking for tracker with long battery life

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi yabbi

I think we have just what you are looking for.
EPS2 is a long battery life time tracker with motion sensor.
Read more about it here: http://eng.microtracker.dk/?m1=mt_products_EPS2

Lots of configuration can be done including intervals when not moved and intervals if moved. Batteri life time typical 1-5 years and comes in an IP64-rated (spash proof) enclosure.
Other configuration include geo-fence, speed, over/under temperature etc.

EPS2 is gpsgate compatible.

Regards
Nicolaj Haarup
www.microtracker.dk

yabbi

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 am

Hello Nicolaj

Can you elaborate on the internals of your tracker? I'm curiuous whats inside the box.
A picture says more than a 1000 words ;-)

regards,

Henk

havian

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:13 am

hey Yabbi

Long time trackers can be a normal simple low power tracker ,put it in a box , and some extra battery , and you have a Long Time tracker
many trackers are just use 1-2ma in "standby" , so you can calulate how many hours you need ;)
Many low cost trackers has this feature one exampel here

http://www.dhgate.com/car-motorbike-gps-tracker-waterproof-long/r-ff8080812b47d754012b485253a473d5.html

hmmmmm 5 years with a tracker use 2ma , is 43800 hours = 87600milli amps for a 5volt device
thats a big battery ;)

nicolaj

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Henk

We use 3pcs orddinary AA (penlight) alkaline batteries.
If you need sub-zero operating range we recommend using rechargable NiMH batteries. They will power the EPS2 down to -25C.

The EPS2 box is only 98 x 65 x 37mm and the weight is only 200 grams.

We claim to hold the world record in battery life time when compared to tracker size.

The IP64-rated enclosure is UV-resistant and is thus suitable for outdoor use.

EPS2 is especially designed for easy long-time operation (no cables, no antenna, no buttons etc.) on assets like containers, trailers, ATV/motorcycles etc.

If you want to see it inside I'll ask you to contact me directly so I can e-mail you a picture.

Nicolaj

yabbi

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi guys,

@havian: your calculation is incorrect, there's more than just a large battery, I'll get back to that.
@nicloaj: don't want to bust your bubble but coming from a highschool degree in electronics I will guarantee you that NiMh cells lose most of their capacity below zero temp. I just wonder how you can sell it with that argument? Can you post a link to a picture here? I'm probably not the only one who is curious about your trackers.

nicolaj

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi Yabbi

I know we don't have full capacity in NiMH below zero C but we know of course that the EPS2 is working very well in cold conditions.

Sorry, I won't post a inside-picture but I can send you one if you contact me directly.

We have developed a rather smart technology to obtain long battery life time.

EPS2 is not expensive but has a higher price than most china trackers. Not due to european production but due to advanced technology for secure and low power operation.

Other features of the EPS2 include store-and-forward log and also automatic selection of primary and secondary data channel that makes it very suitable in areas with poor GSM functionality.

Since the introduction april this year the EPS2 has been tested in 20 countries and is in use by many professional customers including military opertions.

Nicolaj

havian

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:18 pm

@yabbi

Some trackers like global asset tracker (many names) , has up to 3 years in standby "stand-alone"
around 250-300$.

In my calculate just a straight one ;) ma x hours x days x years ;)

Regards Hans

miro1

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:56 pm

SmartOne from Globalstar (2-way satellite)
http://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/satphone/Axonn_SMARTONE_Satellite_Tracker.html

"the SMARTONE is powered by 4 "off the shelf" AA 1.5V lithium batteries providing 3+ years of battery life.
"

yabbi

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks Miro,

I have seen that solution earlier. It looks all nice but how about pricing on sattelite communication? they don't show info on that in their brochure. The bare product pricing looks tempting though. Just wondering how much extra costs are involved after buying it.
Regards
Henk

havian

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Many types are "sleeping" trackers , with a motion detector , here its long life up to maybe 6-8 years , BUT if the tracker work as a normal tracker ,its has to be a "alive" , and here the battery life are and littel problem ;)
And a tracker there are "alive" for up to 5 years , need som big battery !
The data many show , is calculated for a "sleeping" or standby tracker , if the tracker has to give data for exampel one pr hour , the life time is going down

yabbi

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi Havian

Yes I do understand, a sleeping tracker is OK for me, as long as an alarm input or motion sensor is in place AND the ability to activate live tracking on demand. That means the modem has to wake up on short time interval to be able to receive the command or activated by alarm/motion configurable.
A forever sleeping tracker is worthless unless you can activate it by sms of whatever kind if command.

regards
Henk

havian

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey yabbi

100% right , and if the have the feature to be activated by sms or other , its has to be a littel bit alive all time , and here the problem begin ;)

I have a standby order for 250 trackers , should be mount in special instruments there be used in the field , so here is the "motion" tracker not okay :( , so im also on hunting :)

yabbi

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm

How could this scenario be reality: have a tracker swithing on the modem every 15 minutes or so, for just a second, just to poll for sms. In this way I think you could save much battery capacity for a start. Ofcourse this ideal-world tracker should have the latest low-power SiRF4 GPS technology, with jamming detection and various in- and output as well as sensory options.
AND gpsgate intergration ofcourse ;-)
I think there is lots to be done on power consumption of several components used in trackers. All the crap sold out there, like those GPS watches are completely useless due to their short battery life.
regards
Henk

miro1

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:42 pm

Live tracking on SmartOne is acivate by motion sensor, change of location, or by custom sensor on input1 and input2 like ignition start, panic button... Or tracking is activete by reprogramming device on cable.

Monthly usage fee is from 19$ to ?$ Depend of no. of sent messages.
More on PM or email.

Return to “GPS trackers, AVL hardware, SIM subscriptions etc.”