JMB1990

Help the new guy. Teltonika FM5300.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi there gents, (and ladies)

This probably isn't the right place for this question but I couldn't find where else to slot it in. Please go easy on me, this is new to me and still learning.

We are working on a big mining project. We are using GPSGates' latest update along with Teltonika FM5300 units.

Diggers and such in the mining sector don't work on a "per 100km" basis. They work on litres p/ hour. (Typically 10-12 in this case) Question is, am I able to change this in GPSGate from p/100km > p/h?

Second question is regarding fills & expected fuel consumption. Does the client HAVE to put these in? I was under the assumption it would just pull it from the engine numbers automatically. What is the purpose of manually inputting this information? Ideally- this will be an automated process so the client can just pull reports when he wants to to check fuel usage etc over a set time.

Hoping to hear from you all.

Regards,
Jamie

Arman.Taghian

Re: Help the new guy. Teltonika FM5300.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Jamie,
If after reading my below explanations, you didn't find your answers, please elaborate with some examples so I can understand your use-cases:

1- Engine Hours: you can define an event rule to measure the Engine ON time and extract the data from Report_V3_data_store table.

2- Fueling Reports: you need to install a level sensor in the tank(s) of each vehicle/equipment and connect it to GpsGate through FM5300 on RS232 or Analog port (based on the sensor type) and then measure the filling event either by software process or by an event.

RS232 sensors are more precise than Analog types and both are fine to measure +/-500ml in lab environment. Once it comes to the field work, the fuel fluctuations before and after fueling will increase the tolerance. On the other side, the low sampling rate of GPS trackers causes more mistakes as it cannot point at the stating moment and ending moment of the fueling event.

So you need to build your event by monitoring a switch (such as a fuel cap switch).

To resolve this issue and maintain an accuracy of +/- 1L in any case, we have developed an onboard fuel computer called Fuel~X which monitors the fuel level second by second and reports the fueling events precisely. Please let me know if you need to know more about Fuel~X.

3- To monitor the fuel consumption of such heavy vehicles and equipment, you don't have any better way than connecting FM5300 to the ECU of the vehicle through FMS interface and reading the HIGH RESOLUTION FUEL CONSUMPTION. (this is the signal name on the ECU of heavy vehicles). Then in GpsGate you can use report-data-providers to collect/log the data as per your application, e.g. per zone, daily etc. and finally build your reports based on the collected data reading from Report_V3_data-store table.

Remember that the fuel level sensor is NOT the right instrument to measure the fuel consumption in such mining environment due to uneven roads and fuel fluctuations. You definitely need to read the fuel consumption from the ECU and use fuel level sensor only for the Fueling Events.

Thanks,
Arman - GateX Innovations

JMB1990

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Arman,

Thank you so much for your thorough post. I really appreciate it.

I'll take it to the team tomorrow- if I have any questions I'll be sure to get back to you, you've been most helpful clearing some of this up for me.

Regards,
Jamie

Arman.Taghian

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Sure - please feel free to communicate

Regards,
Arman

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”