gfl

Using Vodafone GPRS - Connection Error

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:33 pm

I've set up gpsgate on my windows mobile smartphone to connect to my server using http. Everything is fine when connected to the internet using WiFi. However when I use wap/gprs via my vodafone sim card I always get an error "Error connecting to IP server". Using the browers on the phone the url passes the gps details fine.

Is there any way to debug gpsgate and get more from the error message or has the same issue in the UK using Vodafone?

Thanks

G.

gfl

RE: Using Vodafone GPRS - Connection Error

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:51 pm

What port does GPSGate user for connecting to the server? It might be that Vodafone block that port.

johan
GpsGate

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:48 am

Since you use http, it is port 80.

I'll contact you off forum to work this out.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

gfl

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the reply.

I should have expanded on my second post. I've downloaded a trial copy of the GPSGate Server and have the same problem, works fine over WiFi but not with GPRS. That's why I wondered about the port.

Gavin

johan
GpsGate

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:45 pm

GpsGate Server 1.1 build 148 does not support position reports over http, this will be included in the next service release (in about two weeks).

Still it sounds like a http problem on Vodafone, since you don't get your request to your own server.

I'll contact you to work this out.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

johan
GpsGate

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:47 pm

If you use TCP or UDP it is port 30175

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

gfl

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi Johan

I'm using TCP to connect to the server, I was just using Http originally to pass the details via a web page. So now will be using 30175 for the server but that doesn't work either.

I wonder if I need to change some setting on Windows Mobile to allow GPSGAte to use GPRS, saying that is does open the connection but just can't seem to send!

Thanks

Gavin

gfl

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi Johan,

Did you get my mail with the trace file?

Gavin

johan
GpsGate

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Yes.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

gfl

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:39 pm

HI Johan,

Is this something that is because you do not support WM5 yet, when will the version be released that does support it?

Thanks

Gavin

johan
GpsGate

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:14 pm

GpsGate supports WM5. We will take a look at this.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

foxdie

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi there gfl,

As an ex-employee of Vodafone's 191 support line I may be able to help you as well. Looking into your problem and going on what you've provided, I would hedge a guess that your PDA isn't using the "internet" APN (Access Point Node).

I personally use a WM5/6 PDA with GpsGate updating my GPS tracking website 24/7 (but it is on T-Mobile's web'n'walk service) with no problems, I'm confident you can achieve that too.

In the past when I've used Vodafone's GPRS data service I have been able to connect to any Internet service using the internet APN, was quite cool being able to walk through Birmingham listening to an online radio station a couple of years ago when I worked for them :)

Your problem is most likely going to be one of the following:

Access point is not set to "internet""internet" APN is not added to your SIM card (call 191 and ask for it provisioning)Other PDA misconfiguration

If they start saying stuff like "oh your reception is too low" or "you need to restart your PDA several times" they're talking out of their arses, you may need to restart your smartphone once and so long as you see a G in the top bar you're in GPRS reception. Having worked there I know all the tricks they can pull just to get you off the phone, I actually prided myself on giving a good service whilst working there, shame the call-center in Birmingham was shut down as I enjoyed working there. Oh well, I've moved on and better for it :) give us a shout if you need any further help.

Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt

gfl

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi Foxdie,

Thanks for the reply.

I have the GRPS connection working and can connect to the internet fine through a browser. Its GPSGate that can't seem to use the GPRS connection to send the data.

Johan now has a trace file from my PDA and is looking into it.

Cheers

g.

nvsmanyan

Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:49 pm

I am using WM6 and recently installed the gpsgate application. I choose the output type as gpsgate.com and when I tested the connection, it is giving the error 'Error with IP Connection". I am able to connect to the server when I get connected through Wifi.

Please let me know if I have to do any other settings to get this working. My phone is Samsung - i780.

Regards.

Venkat

Venkat

utk

Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:39 am

I have a bunch of vodaphone SIMS for USA/Canada. I am wondering if anyone knows the APN to be "internet" or "internet.vodafone.net" Also The SIMS don't have a phone number assigned to them. They just have a Sim Card number and VGE #. How do I set this up in Gate Server

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”