pilias

nRoute can't open/use Virtual Ports

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:43 am

Hi,

I'm using GPSGate 2.0 beta, on Windows 2000, my BT GPS is comming in on Virtual COM 4 via the Bluetooth supplied software, GPSGate sees COM4 and gets a signal comming through. I select the output to Virtual COM14 / Garmin Emulator (Generic Device). All looks OK in GPSGate, i.e. Running OK shows up in both In and Out Tabs. nRoute (2.4) is then started, COM14 shows up in the Com Port drop down list, but when OK is clicked the message "The Serial Port COM14 does not exist", even though it's selectable in the drop down list. GPSGate definatley adds this port, because if I Remove the port via GPSGate nRoute doesn't have it in the drop list.

Is this a nRoute issue or am I doing something wrong?

Andreas2

RE: nRoute can't open/use Virtual Ports

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi,

> my BT GPS is comming in on Virtual COM 4 via the Bluetooth supplied software

In GpsGate 2.0 it is possible to connect directly to your bluetooth device without creating a virtual port through the supplied bluetooth stack, assuming your bluetooth software comes from Widcomm or Microsoft. That might eliminate one source of error. You can connect GpsGate to your bluetooth GPS using the wizard (should find it automatically) or by using the advanced configuration and selecting "Bluetooth GPS" in the input tab.

> ..."The Serial Port COM14 does not exist"
Have you tried some other program? To verify that the port is created properly, try to add a plain virtual port as output and connect to it using e.g. Hyperterminal. Hyperterminal should connect ok and NMEA data should be printed to the screen.

Regards,
Andreas Nilsson
Franson Support

johan
GpsGate

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:16 pm

I looks like nRoute only can connect to COM1 to COM8

COM10 and above will result in the error message you describe. nRoute will be able to connect to COM9 without an error message, but fail to read data.

The work around is to create a "Virtual COM / Garmin Emulator (Generic Device)" as output. And to make sure you create a port numbered from COM1 to COM8

Is this a nRoute issue or am I doing something wrong?
Meaning it is an nRoute issue, but easy to solve.

Please also note what andreas wrote about Bluetooth GPS connections in the posting above. You will have a much more reliable connection if you use the native "Bluetooth GPS" feature in GpsGate.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

pilias

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:44 am

Got a copy of Widcomm, and all is working fine now. The issue with the supplied software of the BT Dongle I have is that it created virtual com ports com3 through com13, which mean't that I couldn't reassign an output com port lower than com13. Widcomm is much more forgiving.

All in all, nRoute is working.

Thanks for all your help, and tips.

Panos

johan
GpsGate

Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:55 am

Note that GpsGate can make a direct connection to the Bluetooth GPS without using COM pots created by the Bluetooth software. This will make the setup more stable and demand less configuration.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”