HCPD

GpsGate Client will not work under different user

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:44 pm

I have GpsGate Client installed on a brand new Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 running Windows 7 Pro, with three user accounts. Two of the users are setup as Administrators, while the other one is a Standard User.

GpsGate Client runs fine in the two Admin accounts, but when I switch to the Standard User, it won't open. At first it gave a crash message, but now nothing happens at all.

Here is the "crash message:"

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: GpsGateXP.exe
Application Version: 2.6.0.402
Application Timestamp: 4e08f2f7
Fault Module Name: GpsGateXP.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.6.0.402
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e08f2f7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0001d5d0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, but with the same results.

Any thoughts?

johan
GpsGate

RE: GpsGate Client will not work under different user

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Try to run GpsGate Client as a Windows Service:
http://gpsgate.com/support/run_gpsgate_ ... _a_service

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

HCPD

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Tried that. Response is "5: Could not open service manager."

This is actually pretty perplexing, because I have GpsGate Client installed on several older Toughbooks, and no matter which account is logged on (Admin or Standard User) it works fine. Just not the case with this new one. On the other hand, if I give the Standard User admin rights, it works fine, but as soon as I change it back to Standard User, the client won't open.

HCPD

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:19 am

In continuing to experiment, no matter how I install GpsGate Client in this new computer, it will absolutely not work unless the user has admin rights, which is something I can't allow for the majority of our users.

The one major difference between this computer and the ones I have tried this on in the past, is that all of the others are 32-bit systems, while this one is a 64-bit.

It looks like GpsGate Client is installed in the (x86) folder, so it must be a 32-bit program. Would that have anything to do with this problem??

johan
GpsGate

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Maybe you have a UAC which blocks normal usage of the computer?
Maybe there is some kind of compatibility mode you can run GpsGate under?

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

matty_p

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 pm

I am experiencing the same issue. GPSGate client v2.6.0.402 runs fine under user with ADMIN but crashes on startup for user without ADMIN rights. System is running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit version. Is there any fix to this issue? UAC settings have no effect on this... the application crashes either way.

Thanks.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Try to run GpsGate Client as a Windows Service:
http://gpsgate.com/support/run_gpsgate_ ... _a_service

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

johan
GpsGate

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Try to run GpsGate Client in a compatibility mode.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

matty_p

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:26 pm

I uninstalled GPSGate Client and deleted all Franson folders in user's Documents directories. Re-installed GPSGate Client (as administrator), modified settings, closed GPSGate Client, ran 'Run GPSGate client as service' (again as administrator), and logged off. Logged in with non-administrator account and the GPSGate service was running. I did not try the GPSGate Client gui as a non-admin. Did not want to press my luck. :)

HCPD

Re: GpsGate Client will not work under different user

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:37 pm

Just as a follow-up to this thread, I have been struggling with this problem ever since we upgraded all of our Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 computers to 64 bit. In most cases we are running Windows 7 Pro, but on some machines we are running Windows 7 Ultimate. On all of those machines the GpsGate Splitter will only work in the "visible" mode, and only when the user has administrator rights, if the Splitter is the free (2 Virtual Com Port) version. It does act as if it is working in the "Start as a Service" mode, but it does not send any data, and if a user logs on that does not have admin rights, it will not work in either the "visible" mode nor in the "run as a service" mode.

However we paid for the "pro" version of GpsSplitter, which is the exact same product but allows an unlimited number of virtual com ports to be created, and what I found was that once the paid version's license key has been entered, the Splitter will then run in the "Start as a Service" mode just fine, whether the user is logged in with or without admin rights.

So for now, it would appear that the "free" version is not compatible with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate when running the 64 bit version, unless it is to be used in the "visible" mode, and with admin rights.

seanbriselden

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Hey GpsGate admins, is this last post accurate? I have the exact same problem happening right now and it would be good to know if I need to purchase licenses or if there is a different problem going on.

I have GpsGate running as a service and it works fine for my 2 user accoaunts that both have admin, but when i login as a different user that have no admin privlidges there is no GPS signal found. I had to kill the service and when i went into the visable GpsGAte the configurations were gone. Once setup it worked fine, but as soon as I exited and started up the service, no worky.

HCPD

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 am

I don't know the answer, but I am still having the same problem on newer 64-bit machines. On one in particular, it won't even run as a service in admin mode, it only works as a stand alone program with the icon visible on the tray, but only in the admin mode. As soon as I switch to a non-admin user, it won't even let me start the program. Very frustrating.

LeeV

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm have ran into the same problem reported. One way I was able to get GPSGate to work under a normal user accouonts was to add the local admin account info into the Franson GPSGate services.

-login as local admin on the laptop
-open services
-open FransonGPSgate2.0
-select the "Log On" tab
-check the option for "This Account" and then enter in the local admin account. (make sure to enter .\ in front of the username to indicate the local profile)
-next go back to general tab and set the startup type to "Automatic" and start the services.

that should allow GPSGate to run automatically on non-admin accounts.

RickyTerzis

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi....i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the benefits of running GpsGate as a service is that no user needs to be logged into the computer for GpsGate to run. GpsGate will start up at boot and run in the background for all users that logs in.

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”