ktg1019

Garmin 76CSx and GpsGate

Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:58 pm

I have a Garmin 76CS that works great with GPSGate. However, I recently purchased the new Garmin 76CSx. The only difference is that the newer 76CSx has more sensative recievers and has a memory card rather than internal built-in memory. It appears that this difference is causing problems with GPS gate. I think it may be because the computer is seeing a stoage card instead of the GPS and GPS gate doesnt know how to get around it...or I simply need to change some settings. As of now, I simply created a virtual port which works fine on the older model but not the 76CSx. Please help.

johan
GpsGate

RE: Garmin 76CSx and GpsGate

Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:50 pm

We have not tested GpsGate with Garmin 76CSx. Your report is noted, and we'll see if we can do something about it. I have no instant solution for you.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Boater

Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:02 pm

I just bought a 76CSx and have no previous experience trying to connect to my USB only laptop. Silly me, when I saw the USB notation on the Garmin literature for the 76CSx, I assumed it would function with the NMEA protocol. In trying to resolve connectivity, I came across GpsGate and thought my problem was solved.

After downloading the trial version, I could not establish a connection to the GPS. The proprietary Garmin software, Mapsource does connect.

ktg1019

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:15 am

The connectivity issue with the USB port is resolved with my other Garmin 76CS GPS and works great. GPS gate turns on right away. Then, as soon as I switch to the 76CSx GPS, it no longer works. I found that I can use the GPS with the serial cable and then use a serial to USB converter...change the mode to NMEA, look at which com port it's using (will appear in mapsource) and that will work with the GPS. However, I would like to be able to use GPSGate becuase the USB connection in faster than the serial port and I would like to use multiple aplications.

Boater

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:05 pm

I followed another thread on this same topic in the forum. It suggested a firmware/software update from the Garmin website. It performed this update and it immediately solved my connectivity problem.

ktg1019

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:56 am

This solved the problem. Thanks sooooo much for the heads up. The garmin web updater fixed the problem.

Return to “GpsGate Client 1.10”