DSmith

GPSGate sometimes locks up handheld

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:19 pm

Hello -

Problem: GPSGate will not reconnect after the handheld is powered down and back up. A soft reset is required to get GPSGate to work again.

We are testing GPSGate v.1.10h on the following operating systems:

PC 2003 (iPaq 2110)
PC 2003 SE (iPaq 6500 series)
WM 5.0

We tested against two different GPS devices, so the issue is not particular to one GPS device or chipset.

It works great on PC 2003 SE and WM 5.0, but there is an issue on PC 2003. In all cases I am running the same code.

What I do is I have a timer that fires every second. The timer checks the current time vs. the last time the timer was fired and if two or more seconds has gone by then I know that the device was powered down. I then disconnect and reconnect to the GPS. In addition this timer will call GetCOMStatus, GetFix, and so forth with timeout set to 0. (I run the NMEA Parser with events turned off.)

This works fine in all these cases:
GPS on a serial port
GPS on a BT (Bluetooth) port
WM 5.0 virtual port

Finally, it works against GPSGate except when GPSGate is on a PC 2003 device. In this case it sometimes works, and sometimes GPSGate gets broken. It is acting like there is a race condition or timing issue in the GPSGate code because the issue is intermittent. If I power down and back up quickly it usually reconnects, but if I give it a good 30 seconds or more it often does not (hangs about 50%). GPSGate itself no longer functions either. I cannot get it to work after this has happened even if I am no longer running my program. Only a soft reboot fixes GPSGate after it has gone out to lunch in this manner.

Any ideas? Users are going to want to be able to power down and back up their device to save power. PC 2003 is on the way out but we would still like to support it fully.

-Doug

johan
GpsGate

RE: GPSGate sometimes locks up handheld

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:30 pm

You get those problems on when using a Bluetooth GPS on Pocket PC 2003?

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

bbulla

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:28 am

Not sure if this relates to your problem, but this worked for me with a Bluetooth GPS that kept losing connection to my PDA.

http://www.franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2275

Brian

DSmith

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:46 pm

Hi Johan -

Yes. I see this when I use a Bluetooth GPS on PC 2003. I cannot say if it happens with a direct connection (serial port) GPS because our serial port GPS is pretty old and doesn't like being turned off. It's pretty flaky. So I cannot confirm that it is Bluetooth specific. I can only confirm that it is PC 2003 specific and I get it with two different Bluetooth GPS devices.

Hi bbulla

I do not have a COM port option in the Bluetooth settings, and the Serial Port settings tab does not have the option you describe. I also could not find anything labeled "Secure Connection" in any of the tabs, nor an Edit button on any of them. I presume that the version of BT that I have is different than yours. Thanks for the info however. I may try to look into the registry settings and see if there is something that looks like it would be a match with this option.

-Doug

johan
GpsGate

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:57 pm

I would say it is Bluetooth specific, and WidComm stack specific. You can upgrade ipaq 2210 to WidComm v1.4.1.60, there is a download on HPs homepage for that. It will make things better.

We are aware of this specific problem, and is as always working on a solution. Day and night [:)] Native Bluetooth support is on its way.

This might help as well:
http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1715

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

DSmith

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Thank you Johan very much! I will give these a try.

-Doug

DSmith

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:13 am

Hi Johan -

Actually, the problem still persists, but only when I do things through GpsTools. In other words the fixes you suggested work with GpsGate by itself, but if I use GpsTools in my program then the bug still remains.

-Doug

johan
GpsGate

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:21 am

Set NmeaParser.ComPort = -1 and access the GPS through GpsGate.

More info:
http://franson.com/gpstools/reference_manual.asp?comp=tools&class=NmeaParser&item=PortEnabled&platform=netcf

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Return to “GpsGate Client 1.10”