ncschult

GPS COM Port Not Listed in GPSGate

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:50 am

Hello,

I am using a Windows Mobile 2005 phone connected to a OnCourse Bluetooth GPS.

Under GPS Gate settings I have chosen COM Port but my GPS COM Port (COM 6) is not listed in the drop down box.

I am connected to the GPS receiver and if I open GPSInfo or MS Pocket Streets I can choose COM 6. I am NOT trying to connect to COM with more than one program.

Any ideas why the COM Port isn't listed in just this program or how I would add it?

Thanks

johan
GpsGate

RE: GPS COM Port Not Listed in GPSGate

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:42 pm

You can manually enter "COM6" if it doesn't show up in the drop down. If the drop down is grayed out, please click "Close" first.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

ncschult

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks, that was simple! I wish more software made it that easy. I'm having an odd problem trying to get a mapping program to work on my Windows Mobile 2005 PDA/Phone. The software will only recognize pre installed ports. I tried installing the software (Outdoor Navigator) while connected to the bluetooth GPS. That didn't work so I tried to use GpsGate to pass the signal onto one of these ports. I was able to add COM 9 as a virtual COM port but the software I tried (2 different mapping programs) does not see any GPS signal on the port. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

johan
GpsGate

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:50 pm

Which color does the GpsGate tray icon have?

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

ncschult

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi Johan,

The Icon is green and GpsGate sucssefully connects to COM 6, the Bluetooth GPS. It's the map software that can't read the port I am using.

Thanks

johan
GpsGate

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:48 pm

Do you manage to create a virtual port as output? IN that case which COM port do you create?

Can you see that virtual port in your GPS application?

What happens exactly when you open the port in your GPS application?

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

ncschult

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:18 pm

My last post wasn't accurate, I have to use a physical port because the software I am trying to use wont list the virtual ports.

I start GpsGate connected to COM 6 which is the Bluetooth GPS Com Port. I use physical port COM 9 and COM 3 for the Output of GpsGate. I have a green icon from GpsGate.

In my mapping software COM 9 is listed but when I connect it says there is no gps receiver. This happens in Outdoor Navigator, GPSInfo and Streets & Trips.

COM 9 is listed as "Qdata" COM 3 as "IrCOMM"

The problem seems to be these physical ports wont work and the Outdoor Navigator Software will not see any other ports. I was hoping GpsGate would give me a work around.

Thanks again.

I think the problem is COM 9 is not really available, but I do not get an error message from GpsGate when I connect.

johan
GpsGate

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:31 pm

Do not use physical port as output, that will not work.

You need to create a virtual port, and then use that port as input in your GPS application. That is the only way you can get things to work.

(You can use the physical port option to redirect GPS data to another device over a serial port, but that is not what you want)

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

johant

Fri May 05, 2006 2:10 am

Hi!
I tried GPSgate on PPC 2003 with a Pharos GPS and Pocket Streets & Trips, Ostia and some other software. That actually worked fine.

When I try the same thing (same applications and GPS) on my new device running Windows Mobile 5 I get the same behaviour as described above. From what I can see it has nothing to do with the apps, but rather the OS ability to recognize the virtual ports.

Obviously something has changed in WM5, so I have been checking in and out for a newer version of GPSgate that can handle this...

Thanks!

/JohanT

jonphil

Thu May 11, 2006 1:08 am

So there's a growing crowd with WM5 problems then. I have exactly the same as everyone else - I can follow the instructions to manually configure the Input Com port but it will never let me install the Output Virtual Port, whichever port you try to add from the drop down it comes back with "2 : Failed to create device"

having trawled the posts in these forums regarding this problem (and there are many many posts) there would seem to be no solution offered to the issue. Will this be solve din the next release and when will that be as we're all kind of stuck here

bteasley

Sun May 14, 2006 11:35 pm

This is the type of thing that may drive Johan crazy.

I need gpsgate and Destinator (mapping software) to run on Dell's Axim 51 - which is WM5. Obviously MICROSOFT (in their infinite wisdom) has changed something. Many people are having problems - NOT just with gpsgate, but other mapping software products.

For some reason wm5 has more problems with cf card gps receivers than bluetooth. Bluetooth gps receivers can work with wm5.

I don't know enough, but I am hoping Microsoft isn't doing something "nefarious" (sinister) to lock everybody in to some type of system/software. They have obviously made a mistake here - or done something for their benefit that is causing problems for many people.

7andY

Mon May 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought WM5 had the ability to share GPS built into it...

prethum

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi i have samsung i900 and i have installed GPS gate and Tom Tom 7.45
after some setting i made my tom tom and gps gate work it worked for two days after then i opened my tom tom its says "no gps device" and and checked gps gate and the signal is yellow and it says"gps data but no position Running Ok!" i know its the problem with gps gate can some one plz help me
thank you in advance

natsuto

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 am

Use your GPS application to enter the port. This is the only way you can get things working.

Gadgets

Return to “GpsGate Client 1.10”