clientsave

Maptech refuses to recognize Garmin GPS 18

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:10 pm

Just 3 months ago I acquired Maptech's Offshore Navigator, version 5.07 with the 5.07 beta b patch, a Garmin GPS 18 USB, and the GPSGate software.
The GPSGate goes to green almost immediately when plugging in the Garmin GPS 18. The settings are correct in GPSGate, Input set to Garmin USB, Output to Virtual Ports. GPSGate only allows me to set up Comm 4 or higher.
In the beginning, Maptech would recognize the Garmin USB unit, but recently, it will not connect att all, with a "failed to initialize" error.
I am sure the Garmin unit is functioning, or GPSGate would not change to green. I have change computers completely, but the same issue arises.
Any advice on this?
Pat

johan
GpsGate

RE: Maptech refuses to recognize Garmin GPS 18

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:13 pm

Are you connecting Maptech to GpsGate or to the Garmin GPS?

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

clientsave

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:03 am

Johan

The Maptech GPS connection dialogue presents little choice.
One selects manufacturer, then model (the GPS 18 USB is shown in the drop down list). The port option greys out. Previously it seemed to know what port by default where to initialize the GPS, but not now. There is not a choice to connect to GPSGate.

However, in the last few minutes I just tried something new. I selected in Maptech's connection dialogue the manufacturer option "NMEA - generic", which defaults to NMEA 0183. I selected Com Port 4, which I chose in GPSGate, and the GPS was detected immediately. I have shut down/restarted the computer several times and the connection is already established.

I would suggest that in the Garmin 18 USB instructions, suggest selecting in the chart software to connect to the generic NMEA option and the appropriate com port added as the virtual port in GPSGate.

Now, with all due respect, I suspect this has just been fixed in Maptech's latest patch 5.07b, for Offshore Navigator. I believe I had attempted this before updating with the patch without success.

Now, this is all great! Thankyou

wayword

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:26 pm

I am currently using Offshore Explorer and the Garmin GPS18 usb. I am using GPSgate, and I selected the GPS12 map in the maptech gps, and it works fine.

Return to “GpsGate Client 1.10”