GpsGate and CAPN Voyager v6
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Digg this
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wiley586

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Visit wiley586's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am attempting to use GpsGate 1.10c to split NMEA data between my own cpRepeater program and CAPN Voyager (a marine charting program) on XP SP2. Configuration is to read data off the real serial port and forward it over 2 virtual ports. CAPN uses an automatic search routine to find the port with the GPS data. It finds the virtual port, reports it has received GPS data over that port, then fails to receive any more data. More diagnostic info: I have available 3 other programs that read NMEA data. All work fine with GpsGate, in any combination. Only CAPN fails, and it always fails. CAPN can read the physical serial port with no problems. I expect that there is a problem in CAPNs comm handling with respect to virtual ports (maybe some RS232 handshaking that shouldn't be there?) but I'm not sure how to proceed further. Have you seen this problem before?

Glen Wilson

johan
Forum Admin

Sweden
15353 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  01:37:23  Show Profile  Visit johan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will put CAPN on the list of issues to look into for the next version of GpsGate. Please also contact CAPN Voyager support and make them aware of that their application doesn't work with GpsGate.

For your cbRepeater application. Have you taken a look at GpsGate API? Using it you can start GpsGate and get an NMEA stream without configuring a separate virtual port.
http://franson.com/gpsgate/dev_guide.asp?platform=winxp

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support
Go to Top of Page

wiley586

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  03:04:53  Show Profile  Visit wiley586's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I implemented the api in my current version. Works very well. GpsGate is really handy with cpRepeater, and not just as an NMEA splitter. It's like they were made for each other. :-)

Glen Wilson
Go to Top of Page

johan
Forum Admin

Sweden
15353 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  03:11:45  Show Profile  Visit johan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice! I found your homepage as well...

http://www.worldwidewiley.com/3NMEA.shtml

Quote -->

Knowledge is POWER!
And on the water, it's safety, better decisions, and your competitive edge. That's why boaters shovel out kilobucks for marine instruments.

But did you ever wish you had another set of instrument displays at the nav station or in your stateroom? Ever wish your instruments were smarter, more flexible, or just did more for the money

Add cpRepeater and you get a glass cockpit display that supports industry standard NMEA0183 data with a totally configurable display and the ability to record the data in a "Captain's Log". All for less than a single repeater instrument with a 2.5" display.

<--

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support
Go to Top of Page

capnal37
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  10:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a fix to it.

Cap'n Al
Go to Top of Page

Snoking

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  09:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to do something similar. I have Capt'n version 6.1.2 and use three different Garmin GPS/Ploters to feed it NMEA data. The upper station 2006C ploter has WAAS corrections and the older ones do not. I just purchased a GlobalSat BU-353 mouse USB GPS with WASS to use with MS Streets and Trips. I would like to be able to use that to feed NMEA data to Capt'n and still get the Nav data out of the serial comm port to feed the radar and autopilot. Will GpsGate do this? appears that once Capt'n grabs the USB input, I may have a problem. Maybe I just need a USB to serial converter to feed the GlobalSat BU-353 into the same serial comm port, so that I can grab the serial output from the laptop like I am now.
Go to Top of Page

Snoking

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  03:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can edit the GPS port info in the file GPS in the Capn Voyager directory.

[GPS]
Port=
Baud=
Handshaking=

Put port number you want, Baud=4800 and Handshaking=N

SNOKING

Edited by - Snoking on 08/28/2007 03:33:09
Go to Top of Page

Snoking

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  03:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snoking

I would like to do something similar. I have Capt'n version 6.1.2 and use three different Garmin GPS/Ploters to feed it NMEA data. The upper station 2006C ploter has WAAS corrections and the older ones do not. I just purchased a GlobalSat BU-353 mouse USB GPS with WASS to use with MS Streets and Trips. I would like to be able to use that to feed NMEA data to Capt'n and still get the Nav data out of the serial comm port to feed the radar and autopilot. Will GpsGate do this? appears that once Capt'n grabs the USB input, I may have a problem. Maybe I just need a USB to serial converter to feed the GlobalSat BU-353 into the same serial comm port, so that I can grab the serial output from the laptop like I am now.

OK, I purchased a new laptop and a Serial to USB converter and that is working fine with my Garmin GPS', Navico Auto Pilot and Raython Radar. Now back to the GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS. Would GpsGate allow me to receive the GPS data on one USB port and send it to Captn Voyager Navigation software and send the returning Captn instructions "NEMA" back out a different USB port to my autopilot and radar. This is similar to having two GPS' and one application. SNOKING

Edited by - Snoking on 08/28/2007 03:53:34
Go to Top of Page

ak_guy

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted in the wrong forum, whoops.

Edited by - ak_guy on 02/05/2010 16:06:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly