Posted - 12/08/2006 : 13:22:15
GpsGate.com - How to share your GPS position online
Using the web site GpsGate.com you can see a group of users including yourself on a map moving in real time. All
members do not need to have a GPS, you can simply view the map as well. Users who want to share his/her position
must have GpsGate installed.
You can also share your GPS (NMEA) signal over the Internet. The GPS signal can be received by users that are members in your group.
Using GpsGate, the remote GPS signal will look exactly as the GPS was connected directly to a Windows PC or Pocket PC.
By connecting your favorite navigation application to GpsGate, you can see your friends location there. You can also
use GpsGate's Google Earth plugin for that.
2. Getting started with GpsGate.com
The first thing you should do is to create an account at
gpsgate.com. Once you have created an account. Click on "Invite a friend" to invite new members to your group.
You can only track the positions of other users who accepted an invitation. Once you got members click
on them to view them on map and get more information.
3. Share your position
To transmit your position to GpsGate.com you need to install GpsGate 2.5
If you have GpsGate 2.0 installed and do not want to upgrade you can install GpsGate PlugIn Pack 1.3 instead.
Both Windows and Pocket PC versions are available.
1. Download GpsGate 2.5 (or GpsGate PlugIn Pack 1.3) here
2. Run the installation programs for both packages.
3. Read this for how to get started with GpsGate.
4. Add "GpsGate.com Output" as output to GpsGate.
5. Enter your username and password from GpsGate.com. Click "Test" to verify that everything works.
Click "OK", to start sending data.
4. Connect to a remote GPS
You can also get the position from a user in your group as input to GpsGate. This will enable
you to connect and show a remote GPS in your favorite GPS application.
1. Open "GpsGate.com Input" as input to GpsGate.
2. Enter your user-name and password from GpsGate.com. Click "Test" to verify that everything works.
Enter the user-name of the person you want to receive data from.
Click "OK", to start receiving data.
GpsGate 2.0 or later +
GpsGate PlugIn Pack 1.3 or later